2013-02-24

Ariel's Vanilla Cupcakes

Hola amigos. Today I am here on I Tried Baking because I tried baking. The occasion was my best pal's birthday and I was tasked to make vanilla cupcakes.


I got my recipe from Joy Of Baking. If you want to bake using her recipes I highly recommend watching her videos to see how she does it (even though she talks for forever and her stupid electronic whisk will be the death of me). You can click click click here to get the recipe.


This vanilla cupcakes recipe is especially special because it has lemon zest in the cake. Also, Joy Of Baking recipes are never too sweet (which is good for you and everyone around you). I wasn't very sure how to shave the outer layer of the lemon so if you ate these cupcakes you'd probably choke on a piece of lemon zest. Bon appétit.

When you are mixing your base ingredients first (this includes your butter, sugar and eggs) you have to make sure your butter is at room temperature or you are going to have a hard time mixing that stuff. Your batter will look really liquid-y at first because of the three large eggs the recipe calls for but do not fear!! The flour you'll be adding later will make things O-K.

Actually one of my eggs had two yolks and I had to tearfully bring myself to scoop the extra yolk out. My grandma told me two yolks in one egg means you're gonna receive a lot of fortune and I totally wasted it (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`) But having the correct measurements is priority!!!


The cakes were looking good when I put them in the oven. They were all nice and smooth like a baby's butt. (Can't think of any other analogy I'm so sorry)

If you are new to baking, I'm going to lay it out for you straight. Icing is the work of the devil. It's tasty and literally just butter and sugar but it is also as impossible to tame as Miley Cyrus. The presentation of your icing will MAKE OR BREAK your cupcake.


I added a small drop of 'True Blue' food colouring to the icing to give it a baby blue colour (kind of like what you would use to paint the walls of a baby boy's room) but it started to look like mint after a while. The icing wasn't the solid kind because I didn't have enough icing sugar. I was half a cup short and in that moment I was just like, "Oh, I don't have enough sugar, that's good! At least the cupcakes wouldn't be as unhealthy as the original recipe! This is great news! I feel so smart and positive! Hurray!" But, inevitably, like my social life and baking skills, the icing was unsalvageable.

Anyway don't let the colour of the icing confuse you. The cupcakes are not mint. They are vanilla.


REMEMBER TO PIPE YOUR ICING ONLY WHEN YOUR CUPCAKES HAVE COOLED!!!! Meanwhile you can just pop them in the fridge so they won't melt and ruin everything. So after my cupcakes cooled, I tried to pipe icing on it. But obviously the icing came out rather sloppily from my piping bag and the patterned piping tip was absolutely useless. And I had to squeeze everything out of the ziplock and spread out the icing with my knife instead. Hence the unsightly cupcakes.

Hopefully they'd be so yummy you'd be too mind blown to remember how ugly they were in the first place. If you can't make good food, confuse them instead, is what I say.


THE VERDICT:

Sad to say, I only got to taste a small bit if Ariel's cupcakes (bc they were actually for Rashad's birthday, oops) so I'm afraid my judgement will be quite inaccurate? But not to worry, from that small bite, they seemed pretty good!

Beatrice and the bunch of us had a mini tiff over what ingredients were in the icing haha, but basically it was citrusy! And I thought it complemented the vanilla cupcakes quite well.

To me, vanilla cupcakes have a reallg subtle taste, and so if it has icing, it really helps to either enhance or compliment the flavour!

All in all, they were pretty good! So well done Ariel! ☺

Vanilla cupcakes - 6 points

No comments:

Post a Comment